Monday, October 4, 2010

Why "Murder, She Croaked"‽

Years ago when I first caught "Murder, She Wrote" in reruns, I was a young intellectual in my twenties, too hip and sharp witted for such a "stupid" show. I derisively called it "Murder, She Croaked". Such clever wit. Jessica Fletcher was an old biddy and not worthy of my lofty approval.

Over the years I would catch an episode here and there, but still called it my pet name, thus preserving my intellectual superiority. Then something odd happened. I found myself liking the show. And sometimes, when the choice was between work, Matlock, or "Murder, She Wrote", I rooted for Jessica every time. I blame old age. Our wits settle like dust in the attic as we grow older. Mine apparently settled all over the rough edges of my youth.

When I proposed doing this blog with my daughter, we thought "Murder, She Blogged" would be an excellent name. And it is. Somebody else is using it with great flourish. That's when I thought of my old pet name, tarnished with age and no longer coated with a sneer. My daughter had never heard me use it before. It made her laugh. And so it stuck.

~Spike

 

No comments:

Post a Comment